There are two parts to creating a Custom Post Type: Creating the Custom Post Type itself, and adding custom fields to it. There are number of options for creating a custom post type:
- You can do it by hand and there are instructions in the WordPress Codex for doing that.
- There are also a number of popular plugins in the WordPress directory for this purpose.
- One of those is Custom Post Type UI. I has a half a million+plus active installs. It's pretty barebones, but it does let you output the code that you can put into a plug-in or in your functions PHP file.
- Another popular choice is Toolset and this is one of my favorites. Toolset Types is part of a premium plugin suite.
- Another choice is Pods, which is totally free and has some child plugins that go along with it. Pods is very popular in the Beaver Builder Community. There is a plugin extension to connect your pods to Beaver Themer.
- There also some Custom Post Type generators online. This is where you fill in some blanks and it creates the code for you. You then copy and paste into your theme’s functions.php file or create a plugin. The options for the code generators are largely the same ones as those plugins I just listed above. The plugins give you a WordPress UI.
The main core of the Meta Box is a free plugin for creating custom fields. The core plugin is similar to Advanced Custom Fields. A difference is that Meta Box has a suite of additional extensions. There are 18 premium extensions and 9 free ones in the WordPress.org directory. One of the free extensions gives you an interface for creating the Custom Post Type and another one for adding the custom fields. The video walks through that process.
Meta Box also has a bridge to connect itself with Beaver Themer. This plugin is currently on Github, awaiting acceptance into the WordPress.org directory.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. You will still pay the standard amount so there is no extra cost to you. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."